What if I need extra support because I have a special education need or a disability?

You may be entitled to additional help and support in learning if you are:

  • A young person with special educational needs and disabilities, particularly if you have an Education and Health Care Plan EHCP.
  • In care or are a care leaver.
  • A young parent or carer.
  • Receiving support from the Youth Offending Team.

Here is some information that may be helpful to you.

Young People with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

If you are a young person with special educational needs and disabilities you may be able to access additional support if you are on a course at a Sixth Form, college, or learning at work. This is particularly the case if you have an Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

Your school, college, or training provider will have a member of staff who can act as a point of contact and will be able to help you. They may also be able to advise you about any grants, bursaries and help with travel available, depending on your circumstances.

Your Local Authority will help you with information about travel and transport.

If you are applying for a higher education course at a University or a college, you may be able to apply for learning and personal support whilst taking a degree. To find out more about this, visit www.ucas.com or contact the University or college direct for advice and information about the support available.

To view your Local SEND offer, click the buttons below;

Young People who are Looked After by a Local Authority, and Care Leavers

If you are currently in care and looked after by a Local Authority, or if you are a leaving care, there may be additional support and help available.

If you are studying at a Sixth Form or a college they will have a designated person who will be able to provide you with advice and support should you need it. This will also be the case if you go on to study at a University in the future. The www.ucas.com website has a section with information for care leavers. Staff in the Sixth Form office of your school or in the student services department at your college will be able to provide you with help and advice. They will also be able to advise you about any grants or bursaries that you may be entitled to.

You can also contact your key worker at the Local Authority who is responsible for your care.

Young Parents and Carers

If you are a young parent or caring for another person you should speak to your school, college, or training provider. They can advise about any additional support available that could enable you to succeed on your course. They may be able to suggest a range of things that could help you feel more confident about your learning and support you to manage your studies alongside your other commitments.

If you are a young parent there may be grants that you can apply for to help with the cost of child care. Visit www.gov.uk/care-to-learn for more information. Your Sixth Form office or college student services department will also be able to help you complete any forms required.

Some further education colleges have their own child-care facilities which you may be able to use, however it’s important to check availability well in advance of starting your course.

If you are a young parent planning to study at a University, you can speak to their student services centre about what help and financial support may be available. You can also visit www.ucas.com and www.gov.uk for information.

Young People who have a Youth Offending Team worker.

If you have a Youth Offending Team (YOT) worker they may be able to help you access support and help from other agencies. They might link with other specialist support who can help you access the support you need.

If you are not in education, training or employment they may be able to help you identify your options and link you to help from your Careers and Personal Adviser at CSW Group.

If you have not been able to study full-time due to being in youth custody, you may have ‘extended eligibility’ that allows you to study beyond your 19th birthday. Your Youth Offending Team worker or Careers and Personal Adviser will be able to provide you with more information.

Your Local Authority will have an ‘online directory’ linked to their main website containing a wealth of information about community-based support that may be of value to parents, guardians, and carers.